Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Honestly?

I don't give a damn WHAT the silly Republicans do to Social Security. It ultimately is of very little consequence and there are other, more important things to worry about. Such as: just about anything. OK, here is my pea-brained logic...

What IS Social Security anyway? Essentially, poverty insurance. Some form of safety net for folks so that they don't have to resort to begging or becoming a Greeter at Wal-Mart to survive when they no longer produce goods or services available for consumption. [It makes me very sad to have a man old enough to be my grandfather bagging my groceries. This happened just recently. I am not ashamed of him for doing this entry-level type work. After all, most folks of his generation are too proud to ask for help, whereas most of my contemporaries would rather ask for a handout than to perform such a lowly job. I am ashamed for his family (and, by extension, our society) for letting this happen. It is disrespectful; it does not show any importance given to our elders. I realize that there are various sociological factors driving this trend and that there are no easy solutions. I just hate it, that's all. And you know what? I am just plain lucky in that the elders in my family are well taken care of. It is certainly no thanks to my financial contributions. Such is life when you are your own biggest charity case.]

Who benefits from social security? Of course, anyone who is eligible and draws upon the system. But also, their families, and, perhaps to a lesser degree, American society. Would you really let your grandmother dumpster dive and live under a bridge? Hell no. Any decent person would make sure grandma is OK, even if that meant making the kids share a room again and having her live with you. And the less poverty there is around you, the better off you are. That's why people like to live in nice neighborhoods. More and more that means gated communities. See, I'm not so worried about your lack of stuff. It's your pain, and with apologies to Bill Clinton, I cannot feel it. But if I got lots of stuff and you got shit, I am afraid that you might entertain the thought of taking some of mine. Therefore, it behooves me to make sure that you at least are able to get by OK.

But isn't the government taking MY money? Yes. It's called taxes. Perhaps you have heard that your chances of avoiding taxes are not very good. This one is a little different in that you'll eventually be able to get a cash payment from this tax. Unlike public school (and other social institutions) that most would agree are beneficial, but never will financially reward you directly, Social Security will one day, should you live long enough, issue you a check on a regular basis. [That should have been more than one sentence; I apologize.] While blowing it on booze and hookers may be frowned upon, it is ultimately your decision as to how you spend it.

But shouldn't I be able to determine how I invest my money? Surely I could make a better return than the government can! Be that as it may, Social Security is NOT an investment in the traditional sense. It was never meant to be enough to thrive upon. It is poverty insurance [see above]. At the time of its inception, the vast majority of our senior citizens lived it poverty. It is meant as a supplement to your nest egg, not as the egg itself. It doesn't buy Ma and Pa a nice motor home. It lessens their chances of having to decide between heart medication and food.


(to be continued...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home